Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pepper~

This i HAVE to blog about! Its one of the few things in life i have absolutely no regrets of, and well I've also been telling everyone that i would blog about it but i NEVER do. So here goes..

I remember when we first got pepper! IT was a rather rash sudden decision. My sister just finished her degree, sat for her last paper and her boyfriend had this crazy idea of getting her a puppy! Since he was already a DOG person, i guess he wanted everyone else to be too. And well, we HAVE had "the talk", dog or no dog?

Anyway, this little mini schnauzer caught our eye in a pet shop near Petaling Street. I was terrified of dogs then! ABSOLUTELY terrified. But i tagged along and my gosh, i remember when they took her out of the kennel thingy and put her into this large metal basket thing so we could play with her. It was love at first sight.
She was the most hyperactive dog I had ever seen. When we hid behind the shelves of the pet shop, she'd yelp and bark and stick her head out to the side waiting for us to come back! So it was no surprise that we ended up bringing her back home, a new addition to our family.

It was about time too i guess. The house was getting too lonely and depressing and well we all needed a distraction and what a distraction she was. I remember already having a name picked out ages ago, Pepper would be the name for ANY dog...unisex, and the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper incorporated! We found out that her colour was ALSO salt and pepper! So perfect....!

Carrying her in a that cardboard box from the pet shop to the car, was the hardest thing i did. I was so terrified that she would jump out and start gnawing at my face so i kept the box at such a distance. Just lucky me that there weren't many cars on the road so late at night!

Then she was home! Everyone was there. Parents and aunty and cousins. All so anxiously waiting for her. And ooohhh, she was as tiny as a rat i swear!! As soon as she was free in the house, she started running everywhere her tiny paws could take her and we all just sat there and stared in awe. My parents never thought my sister would SERIOUSLY bring back a puppy. But all that talk got lost as soon as they actually SAW Pepper.



I still gushed from a distance, and did not want to get into her laps-around-the-hall course. It stayed that way for a while. I was always so cautious when i got near her. Cause immediately after that phase, her teething phase started. She would nibble on anything and everything she could get into her mouth. Oh the hours she spent lying on her back nibbling on the edges of the sofa! And if you stuck your finger close to her face, you know she's going to get to that too. And i had no intention of letting that happen!

I was utterly depressed when i thought of the fact that i could not muster myself out of this fear. And there came a point when i just started accepting the fact that i was going to be those people that are never really close to their dogs or shared this "bond" i read about so much.


But my oh my, am i happy that i was DEAD wrong! =P

No comments:

Post a Comment