Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Are we truly monogamous?

Monogamy, is tricky. I know no one, except for Samantha from Sex and The City (besides polygamy in religion) that is okay with polygamy, with multiple partners, with no REAL strong feelings towards one particular partner and doesn't mind that the other person is that way too. Well, you would have to be i guess.

So what is monogamy? cavemen and women werent monogamous. Can we truly  be monogamous then? We try because it's been programmed into our minds, by society that we should only be with one person at a time.  But then again, can we really ever be okay with boyfriends and girlfriends having another person to go home to, to sleep with, to share with? Not in my opinion. I like to believe I'm a monogamous person, and I'm pretty sure i am and would be. Do i think i can be with the same person for 30 years? I dont know, but i would not complain if i was, if i still enjoyed his company or still think he's awesome. Yes because its romantic, and its cute. But also because, of all the effort I've put into it, the compromises I've made, the characteristics I've found in that person that I have not found in the many other fishes.

The one argument i do not understand about polygamy, is that we hold ourselves back at loving another person. I dont think this is true. If loving someone else means, looking at how beautiful that person is, or thinking they have awesome abs, awesome legs, or wanting to get to know another person , then i would have loved a million people by now. I know love is the most subjective weirdest complicated thing around, but surely that cannot be all that it is. I dont think we can love two people at once. Definitely not in the same intensity, definitely not in the same way. Because being human, I think certain flaws that are present become more apparent and we then would have favourites.

For me, it's only when we LACK something in a relationship, do we really start seeking it from someone else, someplace else. Love to me is mostly the sharing, that connection. I get everything else from my family and friends. but intimacy is too complex to have with two people at once. When i share with my lover, deepest thoughts, ideas, secrets, passions, fantasies, i cant do that with another person.

I'm a true sceptic most of the time, but this funny little thing called L-O-V-E is a lot more complex than we give it credit. I believe we have evolved from chimps, from cavemen to the US that we are now. That somehow being with one person, is all our emotional capacity can handle. I LOVE a lot of people, and a lot of things and a lot of food, but i will only LOVE love one person, umm at one time that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment