Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thaipusam in Batu Caves, why has it taken me so long?

The last thing i can remember about spending Thaipusam in Batu Caves amongst the trances and the kavadis, I was on my fathers shoulders so i could get a better view of the crowd and not be squashed to death. Now, if you've seen me recently you would know that I'm way too big to be sitting on anyones shoulders, so yes it's been THAT long.

Anyway, so this year we're going back to the chaos once again! 

Things I am definitely looking forward to:

1) The grinding --  Anyone who's ANYONE, on the KTM knows about the grinding! In thaipusam, there will hardly be space for you to breathe let alone distance yourself from the crotches of men wearing the thin white cloth of purity. 

2) The shoving -- Every year we read about stampedes almost, recently one in India, makes me think it's almost an Indian thing really and at a religious event. Ah what awesomeness, proof that religion brings out the beasts in us all.

3) The scams --  So I've heard about the legendary scam artists and the announcers that keep track announcing " One thalli missing, two thalli missing" "3 wallets missing", now if thats not something to experience i dont know what is. And then the famous trick of people falling into a trance, and then wham bham your thalli has gone missing as the perpretrator has dissolved into the crowd before you.

4) The chaos  -- I love the chaos and i love the loud music and the shouting and the COLOURS! and the FESTIVEness of it all. 

5) The stairs -- This I'm not sure I'll attempt doing, just the thought of being sandwiched between men, not because i want to. And the thought of suffocating there, between two things in life i;ve fought so hard to keep away, religion and perverted men, ah not how i'd thought i'd die.

Ah something new I'm anticipating this year is : the RM 10 indian tops! I would be sorely disappointed if there aren't any!  

But for the exact same reasons as above, Thaipusam in Batu Caves is something every person should see and experience i think. Once is more than enough, but wow to say you've survived Thaipusam, could it almost be as rewarding as conquering Mount Kinabalu?

5 comments:

  1. Do they allow non-Indian folks to join the festival? I love to feel the festivities from near. And the Indian sweets are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol im sure they do! =D more people to buy the the overpriced sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there at the start of the procession as they mounted the statue. Marching along with the bright silver chariot through the darkness of KL was amazing. I planned earlier to follow the chariot all the way to Batu Caves but decided against it considering the unruliness of young Indians. Urgh! Some celebrated with loud motorcycles and beer. How religious is that?

    The view from the top of Kinabalu at sunrise is mindblowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! im very sure the view from the top of Kinabalu is awesome! =D

    Ah you shouldnt ask me about religiousness! i say loud motorcycles and beer is as indian as thaipusam is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice wan!! u wil love the chaos..especially the urumis...i cant wait to for that..! =)

    ReplyDelete